Data Protection Recovery Life Post World Backup Day Pre GDPR
It’s time for Data Protection Recovery Life Post World Backup Day Pre GDPR Start Date.
The annual March 31 world backup day focus has come and gone once again.
However, that does not mean data protection including backup as well as recovery along with security gets a 364-day vacation until March 31, 2019 (or the days leading up to it).
Granted, for some environments, public relations, editors, influencers and other industry folks backup day will take some time off while others jump on the ramp up to GDPR which goes into effect May 25, 2018.
Expanding Focus Data Protection and GDPR
As I mentioned in this post here, world backup day should be expanded to include increased focus not just on backup, also recovery as well as other forms of data protection. Likewise, May 25 2018 is not the deadline or finish line or the destination for GDPR (e.g. Global Data Protection Regulations), rather, it is the starting point for an evolving journey, one that has global impact as well as applicability. Recently I participated in a fireside chat discussion with Danny Allan of Veeam who shared his GDPR expertise as well as experiences, lessons learned, tips of Veeam as they started their journey, check it out here.
Expanding Focus Data Protection Recovery and other Things that start with R
As part of expanding the focus on Data Protection Recovery Life Post World Backup Day Pre GDPR, that also means looking at, discussing things that start with R (like Recovery). Some examples besides recovery include restoration, reassess, review, rethink protection, recovery point, RPO, RTO, reconstruction, resiliency, ransomware, RAID, repair, remediation, restart, resume, rollback, and regulations among others.
Data Protection Tips, Reminders and Recommendations
- There are no blue participation ribbons for failed recovery. However, there can be pink slips.
- Only you can prevent on-premises or cloud data loss. However, it is also a shared responsibility with vendors and service providers
- You can’t go forward in the future when there is a disaster or loss of data if you can’t go back in time for recovery
- GDPR appliances to organizations around the world of all size and across all sectors including nonprofit
- Keep new school 4 3 2 1 data protection in mind while evolving from old school 3 2 1 backup rules
- A Fundamental premise of data infrastructures is to enable applications and their data, protect, preserve, secure and serve
- Remember to protect your applications, as well as data including metadata, settings configurations
- Test your restores including can you use the data along with security settings
- Don’t cause a disaster in the course of testing your data protection, backups or recovery
- Expand (or refresh) your data protection and data infrastructure education tradecraft skills experiences
Where to learn more
Learn more about data protection, world backup day, recovery, restoration, GDPR along with related data infrastructure topics for cloud, legacy and other software defined environments via the following links:
- AWS Cloud Application Data Protection Webinar
- March 2018 Server StorageIO Data Infrastructure Update Newsletter
- Application Data Value Characteristics Everything Is Not The Same (five-part mini-series)
- Application Data Availability 4 3 2 1 Data Protection (part of the mini-series)
- World Backup Day: Best Practices for a Hybrid Approach
- Data Protection Diaries Fundamental Topics Tools Techniques Technologies Tips
- World Backup Day 2018 Data Protection Readiness Reminder
- Data Protection Fundamental Topics Tools Techniques Technologies Tips
- Data Protection Diaries (Archive, Backup/Restore, BC, BR, DR, HA,Replication, Security)
- Veeam GDPR preparedness experiences Webinar walking the talk
- Data Infrastructure Server Storage I/O related Tradecraft Overview
- Data Infrastructure Overview, Its What’s Inside of Data Centers
- 4 3 2 1 and 3 2 1 data protection best practices
- Garbage data in, garbage information out, big data or big garbage?
- GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) Resources Are You Ready?
- Have you heard about the new CLOUD Act data regulation?
- Data Infrastructure server storage I/O network Recommended Reading
- Object Storage Center resources (www.objectstoragecenter.com)
- The SSD Place (SSD, NVM, PM, SCM, Flash, NVMe, 3D XPoint, MRAM and related topics)
- The NVMe Place (NVMe related topics, trends, tools, technologies, tip resources)
Additional learning experiences along with common questions (and answers), as well as tips can be found in Software Defined Data Infrastructure Essentials book.
What this all means and wrap-up
Data protection including business continuance (BC), business resiliency (BR), disaster recovery (DR), availability, accessibility, backup, snapshots, encryption, security, privacy among others is a 7 x 24 x 365 day a year focus. The focus of data protection also needs to evolve from an after the fact cost overhead to proactive, business enabler Meanwhile, welcome to Data Protection Recovery Post World Backup Day Pre GDPR Start Date.
Ok, nuff said, for now.
Greg Schulz – Microsoft MVP Cloud and Data Center Management, VMware vExpert 2010-2017 (vSAN and vCloud). Author of Software Defined Data Infrastructure Essentials (CRC Press), as well as Cloud and Virtual Data Storage Networking (CRC Press), The Green and Virtual Data Center (CRC Press), Resilient Storage Networks (Elsevier) and twitter @storageio. Courteous comments are welcome for consideration. First published on https://storageioblog.com any reproduction in whole, in part, with changes to content, without source attribution under title or without permission is forbidden.
All Comments, (C) and (TM) belong to their owners/posters, Other content (C) Copyright 2006-2018 Server StorageIO and UnlimitedIO. All Rights Reserved. StorageIO is a registered Trade Mark (TM) of Server StorageIO.