Nand flash SSD and NVM server storage I/O memory conversations
Having been involved with various types of SSD technology, products and solutions since the late 80s initially as a customer in IT (including as a lunch customer for DEC’s ESE20 SSD’s), then later as a vendor selling SSD solutions, as well as an analyst and advisory consultant cover the technologies, I tell the person asking, well, yes, of course.
That gave me the idea as well as to help me keep track of some of the content and make it easy to find by putting it here in this post (which will be updated now and then).
Thus this is a collection of articles, tips, posts, presentations, blog posts and other content on SSD including nand flash drives, PCIe cards, DIMMs, NVM Express (NVMe), hybrid and other storage solutions along with related themes.
Flash SSD Articles, posts and presentations
The following are some of my tips, articles, blog posts, presentations and other content on SSD. Keep in mind that the question should not be if SSD are in your future, rather when, where, with what, from whom and how much. Also keep in mind that a bit of SSD as storage or cache in the right place can go a long way, while a lot of SSD will give you a benefit however also cost a lot of cash.
- StorageIO Industry Trends Perspective White Paper: Solid State Hybrid Drives (SSHD) aka Turbo Drives
- Enterprise SSHD and Flash SSD – Better Together – Part of an Enterprise Tiered Storage Strategy
- StorageIO Industry Trends Perspective White Paper: Seagate 1200 Enterprise SSD (12Gbps SAS) with proof points (e.g. Lab test results)
- Companion: Seagate 1200 12Gbs Enterprise SAS SSD StorgeIO lab review (blog post part I and Part II)
- NewEggBusiness: Seagate 1200 12Gbs Enterprise SAS SSD StorgeIO lab review (Are NVMe m.2 drives ready for the limelight?
- Via ZDnet: Google doubles Cloud Compute local SSD capacity: Now it’s 3TB per VM
- NAND, DRAM, SAS/SCSI & SATA/AHCI: Not Dead, Yet! (Via EnterpriseStorageForum)
- Here’s why Western Digital is buying SanDisk (Via ComputerWorld)
- HP, SanDisk partner to bring storage-class memory to market (Via ComputerWorld)
- Non Volatile Memory (NVM), NVMe, Flash Memory Summit and SSD updates (Via StorageIOblog)
- Microsoft and Intel showcase Storage Spaces Direct with NVM Express at IDF ’15 (Via TechNet)
- PMC-Sierra Scales Storage with PCIe, NVMe (Via EEtimes)
- Seagate Grows Its Nytro Enterprise Flash Storage Line (Via InfoStor)
- New SAS Solid State Drive First Product From Seagate Micron Alliance (Via Seagate)
- Wow, Samsung’s New 16 Terabyte SSD Is the World’s Largest Hard Drive (Via Gizmodo)
- Samsung ups the SSD ante with faster, higher capacity drives (Via ITworld)
- PMC Announces Flashtec NVMe SSD NVMe2106, NVMe2032 Controllers With LDPC (Via TomsITpro)
- New SATA SSD powers elastic cloud agility for CSPs (Via Cbronline)
- Toshiba Solid-State Drive Family Features PCIe Technology (Via Eweek)
- SanDisk aims CloudSpeed Ultra SSD at cloud providers (Via ITwire)
- Everspin & Aupera reveal all-MRAM Storage Module in M.2 Form Factor (Via BusinessWire)
- Intel, Micron Launch “Bulk-Switching” ReRAM (Via EEtimes)
- Exclusive: If Intel and Micron’s “Xpoint” is 3D Phase Change Memory, Boy Did They Patent It (Via Dailytech)
- Intel & Micron 3D XPoint memory — is it just CBRAM hyped up? Curation of various posts (Via Computerworld)
- NVMe: The Golden Ticket for Faster Flash Storage? (Via EnterpriseStorageForum)
- What should I consider when using SSD cloud? (Via SearchCloudStorage)
- MSP CMG, September 2014 Presentation (Flash back to reality – Myths and Realities Flash and SSD Industry trends perspectives plus benchmarking tips) – PDF
- Selecting Storage: Start With Requirements (Via NetworkComputing)
- Spot The Newest & Best Server Trends (Via Processor)
- Market ripe for embedded flash storage as prices drop (Via Powermore (Dell))
- 2015 Tech Preview: SSD and SMBs (Via ChannelProNetworks )
- How to test your HDD, SSD or all flash array (AFA) storage fundamentals (Via StorageIOBlog)
- Processor: Comments on What Abandoned Data Is Costing Your Company
- Processor: Comments on Match Application Needs & Infrastructure Capabilities
- Processor: Comments on Explore The Argument For Flash-Based Storage
- Processor: Comments on Understand The True Cost Of Acquiring More Storage
- Processor: Comments on What Resilient & Highly Available Mean
- Processor: Explore The Argument For Flash-Based Storage
- SearchCloudStorage What should I consider when using SSD cloud?
- StorageSearch.com: (not to be confused with TechTarget, good site with lots of SSD related content)
- StorageSearch.com: What kind of SSD world… 2015?
- StorageSearch.com: Various links about SSD
- FlashStorage.com: (Various flash links curated by Tegile and analyst firm Actual Tech Media [Scott D. Lowe])
- StorageSearch.com: How fast can your SSD run backwards?
- Seagate has shipped over 10 Million storage HHDD’s (SSHDs), is that a lot?
- Are large storage arrays dead at the hands of SSD?
- Can we get a side of context with them IOPS and other storage metrics?
- Cisco buys Whiptail continuing the SSD storage I/O flash cash cache dash
- EMC VFCache respinning SSD and intelligent caching (Part I)
- Flash Data Storage: Myth vs. Reality (Via InfoStor)
- Have SSDs been unsuccessful with storage arrays (with poll)?
- How many IOPS can a HDD, HHDD or SSD do (Part I)?
- How many IOPS can a HDD, HHDD or SSD do with VMware? (Part II)
- I/O Performance Issues and Impacts on Time-Sensitive Applications (Via CMG)
- IBM buys flash solid state device (SSD) industry veteran TMS
- Is SSD dead? No, however some vendors might be
- Is SSD Only for Performance?
- NetApp EF540, something familiar, something new
- Researchers and marketers don’t agree on future of nand flash SSD
- Server and Storage IO Memory: DRAM and nand flash
- Some of my experiences with Hybrid Hard Disk Drive (HHDD) series of posts based on what I use in my laptops and others systems including Seagate Momentus XT here, here, here, and here (along with Samsung SSD 512GB 840 that I upgraded from a 256GB 830).
- What, When, Why & How to Accelerate Storage (Via Storage Acceleration)
- Tips for Measuring Your Storage Acceleration (Via Storage Acceleration)
- Speaking of speeding up business with SSD storage
- Speaking of SSDs (with poll) With Poll, Cast Your Vote Here
- Spiceworks SSD and related conversation here and here, profiling IOPs here, and SSD endurance here.
- SSD is in your future, How, when, with what and where you will be using it (PDF Presentation)
- SSD for Virtual (and Physical) Environments: Part I Spinning up to speed on SSD (Via TheVirtualizationPractice), Part II, The call to duty, SSD endurance, Part III What SSD is best for you?, and Part IV what’s best for your needs.
- IT and storage economics 101, supply and demand
- SSD, flash and DRAM, DejaVu or something new?
- The Many Faces of Solid State Devices/Disks (SSD)
- The Nand Flash Cache SSD Cash Dance (Via InfoStor)
- The Right Storage Option Is Important for Big Data Success (Via FedTech)
- Viking SATADIMM: Nand flash SATA SSD in DDR3 DIMM slot?
- WD buys nand flash SSD storage I/O cache vendor Virident (Via VMware Communities)
- What is the best kind of IO? The one you do not have to do
- When and Where to Use NAND Flash SSD for Virtual Servers (Via TheVirtualizationPractice)
- Why SSD based arrays and storage appliances can be a good idea (Part I)
- Why SSD based arrays and storage appliances can be a good idea (Part II)
- Q&A on Access data more efficiently with automated storage tiering and flash (Via SearchSolidStateStorage)
- InfoStor: Flash Data Storage: Myth vs. Reality (Via InfoStor)
- Enterprise Storage Forum: Not Just a Flash in the Pan (Via EnterpriseStorageForum)
SSD Storage I/O and related technologies comments in the news
The following are some of my commentary and industry trend perspectives that appear in various global venues.
- Comments on using Flash Drives To Boost Performance (Via Processor)
- Comments on selecting the Right Type, Amount & Location of Flash Storage (Via Toms It Pro)
- Comments Google vs. AWS SSD: Which is the better deal? (Via SearchAWS)
- Tech News World: SANdisk SSD comments and perspectives.
- Tech News World: Samsung Jumbo SSD drives perspectives
- Comments on Why Degaussing Isn’t Always Effective (Via StateTech Magazine)
- Processor: SSD (FLASH and RAM)
- SearchStorage: FLASH and SSD Storage
- Internet News: Steve Wozniak joining SSD startup
- Internet News: SANdisk sale to Toshiba
- SearchSMBStorage: Comments on SanDisk and wireless storage product
- StorageAcceleration: Comments on When VDI Hits a Storage Roadblock and SSD
- Statetechmagazine: Boosting performance with SSD
- Edtechmagazine: Driving toward SSDs
- SearchStorage: Seagate SLC and MLC flash SSD
- SearchWindowServer: Making the move to SSD in a SAN/NAS
- SearchSolidStateStorage: Comments SSD marketplace
- InfoStor: Comments on SSD approaches and opportunities
- SearchSMBStorage: Solid State Devices (SSD) benefits
- SearchSolidState: Comments on Fusion-IO flash SSD and API’s
- SeaarchSolidStateStorage: Comments on SSD industry activity and OCZ bankruptcy
- Processor: Comments on Plan Your Storage Future including SSD
- Processor: Comments on Incorporate SSDs Into Your Storage Plan
- Digistor: Comments on SSD and flash storage
- ITbusinessEdge: Comments on flash SSD and hybrid storage environments
- SearchStorage: Perspectives on Cisco buying SSD storage vendor Whiptail
- StateTechMagazine: Comments on all flash SSD storage arrays
- Processor: Comments on choosing SSDs for your data center needs
- Searchsolidstatestorage: Comments on how to add solid state devices (SSD) to your storage system
- Networkcomputing: Comments on SSD/Hard Disk Hybrids Bridge Storage Divide
- Internet Evolution: Comments on IBM buying flash SSD vendor TMS
- ITKE: Comments on IBM buying flash SSD vendor TMS
- Searchsolidstatestorage: SSD, Green IT and economic benefits
- IT World Canada: Cloud computing, dot be scared, look before you leap
- SearchStorage: SSD in storage systems
- SearchStorage: SAS SSD
- SearchSolidStateStorage: Comments on Access data more efficiently with automated storage tiering and flash
- InfoStor: Comments on EMC’s Light to Speed: Flash, VNX, and Software-Defined
- EnterpriseStorageForum: Cloud Storage Mergers and Acquisitions: What’s Going On?
Check out the Server StorageIO NVM Express (NVMe) focus page aka www.thenvmeplace.com for additional related content. nterested in data protection, check out the data protection diaries series of posts here, or cloud and object storage here, and server storage I/O performance benchmarking here. Also check out the StorageIO events and activities page here, as well as tips and articles here, news commentary here, along out newsletter here.
Ok, nuff said (for now)
All Comments, (C) and (TM) belong to their owners/posters, Other content (C) Copyright 2006-2016 Server StorageIO and UnlimitedIO LLC All Rights Reserved