Participate in Top vBlog 2016 Voting Now
It’s that time of the year when Eric Siebert (@ericsiebert) hosts his annual top virtual Blog (vBlog) voting via his great vsphere-land site (check it out if you are not familiar). The voting is now open until May 27th after which the results tabulated, will be announced.
While the focus is virtualization, rest assured there are other categories including scripting, storage, independent, new, video and podcast among others. For example my blog is listed under StorageIO (Greg Schulz) and included in storage and independent among some other categories.
Granted it is an election year here in the US and hopefully those participating in the top vBlog 2016 voting process are doing so based on content vs. simply popularity or what their virtual Popularity Action Committees (vPAC) tells them to do, that is vPACs actually exist or if they are simply vUrban Myths ;). In other words I’m not going to tell you who to vote for, or who I voted for other than that it is based on useful I found those sites and their content contributions.
Who Is Eligible To Vote
Anybody can vote, granted you can only vote once. Of course you can get your friends, family, co-workers, sales and marketing department, community or club, customers, clients, basically anything with an IP address and email address in theory including IoT and IoD could vote. However that would be like buying twitter followers, Facebook likes, click for view or pay for view results to game the system which if that is your game, so be it.
How Did People Get On The List (Ballot)
Eric puts out a call (tweets, posts here, here and here) that gets amplified for people to submit new blogs to be included, as well as then to self-nominate their site, as well as for what categories. If people do not take the initiative to get on the list, they don’t get included. If the list if important enough to be included on, then it should be important enough to to know or remember to self-nominate to be included.
I know this from experience in that a few years ago I forgot to nominate my blog in the categories of storage, independent thus was not included in the voting for those categories. However since I had previously notified Eric to include my blog, it was in the general category and thus included. Note to bloggers, if it is important for you to be included, then notify Eric that you should be added to his lists, as well as take the time to nominate yourself to be included in the future. Simply help others help you.
What Is The Voting Criteria
Eric for this years top vBlog voting has culled the list to those who besides self nominating in different categories, also had at least 50 posts in the past year.
In addition, Eric suggests focus on the content, creative and contribution (Longevity, Length, Frequency, Quality) vs. simply being a popularity contest or driven by virtual Popularity Action Committees (e.g. vPAC).
Following are my paraphrase:
- Longevity – How long has the blog existed and continued to be maintained vs. one started a long time ago and had not been updated in months or years.
- Length – Are there lots of very short basically expanded micro twitter posts, recopy press releases or curation of other news, real content and analysis that requires some thought along with creative. These could be short, long or a series of short to medium size posts.
- Frequency – How often do posts appear, daily, weekly, monthly, yearly. There’s a balance between frequency, length and content along with time effort to create something.
- Quality – Some can be rehashed with more perspectives, inputs, hints and tips along with analysis, insight or experiences of existing, or new items. The key is what is the value add to the topic, theme or conversation vs. simply reposting or amplifying what’s already out there. In other words, is there new or unique content, perspectives, thought analysis, insight, experiences or simply repeat and amplify those of others.
Call To Action, Get Out and Vote
Simple, get out and vote and thanks in advance by using this link to Eric’s site.
Where To Learn More
- Voting now open for Top vBlog 2016
- Link to actual voting page
What This All Means
Support and say thanks, give an "atta boy" or "atta girl" to those who take time to create content to share with you on various virtualization related topics from servers, storage, I/O networking, scripting, tools, techniques, clouds, containers and more via blogs, podcast’s and webinars. This includes both the independents like myself and others as well as the vendors, press and media who give the content you consume.
So take a few moments to jump on over to Eric’s site and cast your vote and if you have found my content to be useful, I humbly appreciate your vote and say thank you for your support, as well as that for others.
Ok, nuff said and thank you for supporting StorageIOblog.
All Comments, (C) and (TM) belong to their owners/posters, Other content (C) Copyright 2006-2018 Server StorageIO(R) and UnlimitedIO All Rights Reserved