For those of you in the New York City area, I will be presenting live in person at Storage Decisions September 23, 2009 conference The Other Green, Storage Efficiency and Optimization.
Throw out the "green“: buzzword, and you’re still left with the task of saving or maximizing use of space, power, and cooling while stretching available IT dollars to support growth and business sustainability. For some environments the solution may be consolation while others need to maintain quality of service response time, performance and availability necessitating faster, energy efficient technologies to achieve optimization objectives.
To accomplish these and other related issues, you can turn to the cloud, virtualization, intelligent power management, data footprint reduction and data management not to mention various types of tiered storage and performance optimization techniques. The session will look at various techniques and strategies to optimize either on-line active or primary as well as near-line or secondary storage environment during tough economic times, as well as to position for future growth, after all, there is no such thing as a data recession!
Topics, technologies and techniques that will be discussed include among others:
- Energy efficiency (strategic) vs. energy avoidance (tactical), whats different between them
- Optimization and the need for speed vs. the need for capacity, finding the right balance
- Metrics & measurements for management insight, what the industry is doing (or not doing)
- Tiered storage and tiered access including SSD, FC, SAS, tape, clouds and more
- Data footprint reduction (archive, compress, dedupe) and thin provision among others
- Best practices, financial incentives and what you can do today
This is a free event for IT professionals, however space I hear is limited, learn more and register here.
For those interested in broader IT data center and infrastructure optimization, check out the on-going seminar series The Infrastructure Optimization and Planning Best Practices (V2.009) – Doing more with less without sacrificing storage, system or network capabilities Seminar series continues September 22, 2009 with a stop in Chicago. This is also a free Seminar, register and learn more here or here.
Ok, nuff said.
All Comments, (C) and (TM) belong to their owners/posters, Other content (C) Copyright 2006-2017 Server StorageIO and UnlimitedIO LLC All Rights Reserved