Speaking of and about modernizing data protection, back in June I was invited to be a keynote presenter on industry trends and perspectives at a series of five dinner events (Boston, Chicago, Palo Alto, Houston and New York City) sponsored by Quantum (that is a disclosure btw).
The theme of the dinner events was an engaging discussion around modernizing data protection with certainty along with clouds, virtualization and related topics. Quantum and one of their business partner resellers started the event with introductions followed by an interactive discussion by myself, followed by David Chappa (@davidchapa ) who ties the various themes with what Quantum is doing along with some of their customer success stories.
Themes and examples for these events build on my book Cloud and Virtual Data Storage Networking including:
- Rethinking how, when, where and why data is being protected
- Big data, little data and big backup issues and techniques
- Archive, backup modernization, compression, dedupe and storage tiering
- Service level agreements (SLA) and service level objectives (SLO)
- Recovery time objective (RTO) and recovery point objective (RPO)
- Service alignment and balancing needs vs. wants, cost vs. risk
- Protecting virtual, cloud and physical environments
- Stretching your available budget to do more without compromise
- People, processes, products and procedures
Quantum is among other industry leaders with multiple technology and solution offerings for addressing different aspects of data footprint reduction and data protection modernization. These include for physical, virtual and cloud environments along with traditional tape, disk based, compression, dedupe, archive, big data, hardware, software and management tools. A diverse group of attendees have been at the different events including enterprise and SMB, public, private and government across different sectors.
Following are links to some blog posts that covered first series of events along with some of the specific themes and discussion points from different cities:
Via ITKE: The New Realities of Data Protection
Via ITKE: Looking For Certainty In The Cloud
Via ITKE: Success Stories in Data Protection: Cloud virtualization
Via ITKE: Practical Solutions for Data Protection Challenges
Via David Chappas blog
If you missed attending any of the above events, more dates are being added in August and September including stops in Cleveland, Raleigh, Atlanta, Washington DC, San Diego, Connecticut and Philadelphia with more details here.
Ok, nuff said for now, hope to see you at one of the upcoming events.
All Comments, (C) and (TM) belong to their owners/posters, Other content (C) Copyright 2006-2012 StorageIO All Rights Reserved