I recently did an interview with the folks over at Infortrend (a RAID storage company) discussing various industry trends and perspectives including RAID, data footprint reduction (DFR) as well as Green IT including how the Green Gap.
The Green Gap is the disconnect between common messaging around carbon and environment vs. IT and business productivity sustainment challenges that continues to result in confusion along with missed opportunities.
- There is no such thing as a data or information recession
- Organizations of all size will continue to have to support growth in a denser fashion
- Doing more in a denser manner also means acquiring as well as managing more usable IT resources per dollar spent
- Optimization and data footprint reduction (DFR) expands focus from reduction efficiency to productivity effectiveness
- Energy efficiency shifts from avoidance to energy effectiveness where more work is done to support business productivity and sustainment
- RAID is alive however it continues to evolve as well as leveraged in conjunction with other techniques
Here is the link to the first of a two part series where you can read my comments on how many organizations are missing out on economic as well as business sustainability benefits due to confusion and the Green Gap among other topics.
Ok, nuff said.
All Comments, (C) and (TM) belong to their owners/posters, Other content (C) Copyright 2006-2014 StorageIO All Rights Reserved